Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sleepaway Camp


This movie has a special place for me, because it was the movie that really got me into horror. I'd seen horror movies before, sure, but this one had me coming back to the video store and entirely ignoring all other genres for the first time.

Like a few people I know, I heard about this movie through Frightmare's amazing song Angela. Now, unfortunately, the song made it so that the plot, most importantly the ending, weren't a mystery to me. But this did nothing to take away from just how great a movie this is. I've probably seen it 8 times since then, including last night.

The movie opens with two kids with their dad on a boat, while on the other end of the lake, some annoying chick and her horny boyfriend are pulling some other chick behind them on a motorboat. The horny boyfriend doesn't see the dad and kids in the water, and one of the kids and the dad are killed.

Later we meet Angela and Ricky, living with Ricky's mother, and on their way to summer camp. They arrive at camp and we meet Ronnie and his ridiculous shorts, and Mel with his ever present cigar, as well as probably my favorite character, Artie the cook. Anyone who can't tell just from his first line "look at all that young fresh chicken" has clearly never seen a child molester before. And when he tries to take advantage of Angela, Ricky finds them and stops him. Oh yeah, and then he gets hit with a pot of boiling water.

Then some annoying kid at the lake gets drowned after he insults Angela. And then the bees, and the shower, the arrow, the hatchet, and
Well, you get the idea. This is my favorite slasher movie. It gets a 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment